Nowsta helps employers become better managers by giving them the tools they need to automate, simplify, and humanize the labor management process (think scheduling, time tracking, payroll processing integrations, and reporting + analytics). We're building the first all in one platform for scheduling and time tracking, vendor and labor management, and financial wellness. Our mission is to create a better and more human work experience for managers and employees.
Employees on Nowsta can also access a suite of services to help them more effectively manage their job schedules and personal finances. Nowstapay is a financial wellness benefit program that allows employees to cash out earnings instantly for the work they've already completed.
Nowsta powers some of the largest workforces in sectors such as events, hospitality, staffing, and many more. Employers turn to Nowsta when they want to streamline operations, reduce turnover, and increase workplace satisfaction.
About this Role:
We’re looking for a VP of Engineering with the vision and drive to help build Nowsta’s engineering team at a time of enormous growth. You’re a proven leader and excited to work in a fast-paced environment. You will be responsible for and will have broad responsibility over engineering vision, strategy, execution, team development as they relate to all of Nowsta’s products. This is one of the most impactful roles for the success of Nowsta and will report directly to the Co-Founder/CTO and manage a team of engineering professionals.
What You Will Do:
- Scale our engineering teams and build a world-class engineering organization that engineers relish being a part of. Grow our engineering teams by coaching and mentoring our current leaders and inspiring them with a compelling vision & strategy and by recruiting additional top talent
- Act as the primary stakeholder and the evangelist for our engineering org & culture and rally our teams to reach new heights
- Partner with our Product leadership to develop the vision for Nowsta’s Platform and Products and represent the technical aspects/considerations of the strategy
- Use a "Product Management" mindset to engage with internal and external stakeholders to align on engineering vision, strategy and priorities that deliver measurable results. You should be able to present and drive alignment around the vision and strategy to create a clear long range roadmap.
- Define and own the Engineering OKRs & roadmap and conduct quarterly roadmap reviews
- Drive multiple high profile program work streams spanning our data, platform and product engineering teams.
- Work closely with our CTO and our product & engineering leadership to set standards around patterns, frameworks, technologies, and processes to promote a simple and consistent approach across multiple types of services
- Identify trends and promote solutions across multiple product areas by being an influencer around software architecture best practices, including quality, supportability, scalability, performance, availability, maintainability, extensibility, and security.
- Drive transparency and decision making through the product and engineering leadership team with blameless postmortems and iterative improvement programs that focus on product scale and quality.
- Role model Servant Leadership, making leadership excellence a continuous priority for your own personal development and that of your team(s)
- Embrace, model and champion all of Nowsta’s values - adding to the growth of our culture
- Strong work ethic with the ability to understand and exhibit Agile principles and methodology
- 5+ years of leading large cross-cultural geo-distributed teams across multiple time zones
- 15+ years of experience in software development building large-scale (web + mobile) SaaS and/or Marketplace products.
- 10+ years of experience leading geo-distributed enterprise scale engineering teams. We are looking for individuals with demonstrated repeat business growth or exit successes in high profile startups, specifically with experience building platforms
- Strong ability to inspire and guide others
- Deep understanding and commitment to software engineering practices/processes (e.g., Lean, Agile, DevOps, CI/CD, TDD, XP) and continuous improvement through measurement
- Deep experience with AWS, modern data processing products, and microservices architecture
- Experience leading data engineering and data science teams
- Experience leading platform engineering and SRE teams
- Ability to operate effectively in both tactical and strategic capacities - You can comfortably adjust your altitude and roll up your sleeves as needed
- Experience with rapid scaling of engineering organization by hiring and retaining exceptional talent
- Commitment to product excellence and experience promoting the right balance between best practices and feature delivery
- Demonstrated experience in promoting culture and diversity throughout a large engineering organization to achieve transformational change
- Excellent communication skills for both horizontal and vertical organizational lines
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
- Servant Leader and Agile DNA
- 100% Employer Paid Health Care, Including Dental and Vision
- Work From Home Flexibility
- Unlimited Paid Time Off